FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO TRAUMA
By combining therapy, outdoor adventure, and social interactions, UpRoutes creates a unique environment for addressing trauma for individuals who often do not benefit from typical intervention. Adventure therapies add an exposure and physical component to retrain thought processes and behavioral and physiological responses, which is difficult to simulate in an office setting. Building self-esteem, regulation, social skill can help build resilience leading to post ecstatic growth after a trauma.
This type of group work has also been shown to be effective for people with multiple diagnoses, including:
- Intellectual and/or developmental disabilities
- Traumatic brain injury
- Substance use
- Foster Care
Because there is not just one type of trauma, additional groups, like those who experience vicarious trauma (therapists, caseworkers, first responders, etc.) can also benefit from adventure therapy provided through UpRoutes.
- Address the trauma response and retrain a more positive behavioral response.
- Provide coping skills when activated or dyregulated.
- Improve peer-to-peer socialization.
- Develop an intervention plan that can be utilized post-adventure therapy experience.
- Reduce the need for ongoing out-of-home placement.
- Help develop a positive self-concept.
- Reduce impulsivity.
Who We Are
Ian Altman, MSW